I want the thread back around my throat!



“Where is it?
Who took it from me?
I want it back!
Who stole my thread?
They will outcaste me!
Please give it back to me!
I want the thread back around my throat!”

I woke up panting.
I have this nightmare since I was 11.
I fumbled around my torso looking for it.
It had gone down to the waist.
I pulled it back on to my throat.
It’s the symbol of my earnestness.
It’s a sin to lose it.
Hell befalls without it.

I went to the Priest next Morning.
He grabbed my forehead and proclaimed
“You will be a Cur in your next Life”
I fell on his feet and begged for mercy.
And he gave me a Gem.
I keep it close to me.
It keeps the Devil away.
So I slept peacefully next night.

“Where is it?
Who took it from me?
I want it back!
Who stole my Gem?
The Devil will take me!
Please give it back to me!
I want the Gem back close to me!”

I woke up panting.
But this time it was not a nightmare.
I had really lost the Gem.
The Devil was standing infront of me.
I gapped, I wanted to run but I was stunned.
The Devil gave me a cunning smile.
He grabbed my hand and took me to his lair.

“Welcome to my abode” said the Devil.
“You are so cold, are you afraid?”
When I didn’t answer, he asked again
“Are you afraid of me?”
I said Yes and he asked Why?
Hesitatingly I said... you are evil….
And the Devil howled, “What? Who told you that?”
I was scared, I took a step back and kept quiet.

The Devil too kept quiet for a while, staring at me.
And then he made me sit infront of him.
“Tell me why you think I am evil?”
I told him… you make people kill…
you make people steal…
you make them lusty….
you make them jealous and angry….
aaammm….. don’t you? You are root of all evil….

The Devil took a deep breath…
And asked me “Do you believe in God?”
I told him I do.
And he asked me “Then, why you fear me?”
I was puzzled, if I believe in God
The creator and protector of all
Then why do I fear anything?
Somehow I got some inner strength
I replied “I fear you no more!”
The Devil grabbed my hand again
And took me back to my home.

“I let you go”, he said
“You don’t fear me, I have no use of you”
But he said something more
“Why you need to believe in god when you don’t fear me?”
And he left.
I don’t know but it hit me hard.
“Why?”
But before thinking of that I held the thread around my throat
And prayed god thanking him for saving me from the devil.

Comments